iCan Shine Bike Camp, for individuals with Down syndrome ages 8 and up, provides quality learning opportunities by creating an environment where each person is empowered to maximize their individuals abilities and learn how to ride a two-wheel bike independently. Each camper receives a t-shirt and certificate upon completion.
DSAMT offers this camp every two or three years, and as funding is available. Last held in 2018.
Our iCan Bike camp:
· is for individuals with disabilities who are 8 years old or older
· has approximately 30-35 riders in the total camp; however, because there are five 75-minute sessions each day, there will be no more than 6-7 riders at any one time at camp which ensures more individualized attention for your rider.
· requires each rider attend the same 75-minute session for the 5 days (M – F)
· invloves each rider being assigned the same two volunteers that will work with the rider each day, when possible. Our goal is to provide these consistent people to create a predictable and safe environment for your rider each day.
· requires parents and/or guardians remain at camp and watch from nearby seating. A parent or guardian must remain present at camp at all times during the 75-minute session (dropping off the rider is not permitted).
· requires parents and/or guardians bring the rider’s personal bike, that they will be riding after the end of bike camp, to camp no later than the fourth day (Thursday). The goal is for the iCan Bike staff to ensure the bike is appropriate for the rider and transition the rider to their personal bike on the last (fifth) day of camp.
After registering, You will be notified via the email provided of your approved session, wait list status, and payment information. Expect this email from [email protected] (please check spam). Registrations will be processed in the order they are received. Registrations are time and date stamped upon submission by Survey Monkey. Registration is $250.
You will have 2 weeks from the date of the confirmation e-mail to pay your balance in full or your place may be lost, unless there are approved special circumstances in writing from Tanya Chavez, Nashville Camp Director.